General Campus Access
The campus is currently open to the public, with restrictions. All those entering campus must complete a health attestation and follow the College’s health and safety protocols:
Faculty, staff and students (BC and CU)
The main gates at 117th street are open 24 hours. Barnard and Columbia ID is required for entry overnight (between 11 PM and 6 AM). The 119th street gates and gates into the Quad (by the subway) are generally open 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Members of the Barnard community are required to complete a daily screening using the CoVerified App (ReOpen CU app for CUID holders) and swipe their BC/CU ID to gain entry to most buildings, including Barnard Hall, Altschul Hall, the Milstein Center and the "link" glass doors between Altschul and Milbank Halls.
- The Card Reader system is integrated with CoVerified. The system requires this health attestation once every 24 hours to maintain uninterrupted card reader access, so it is essential to utilize the CoVerified 'report symptoms' function once per day. Otherwise you will receive a red/restricted notice and there will be a delay in service/no access to buildings. More information about assistance with access difficulties or replacement process for lost IDs can be found on the CARES website.
- Campus tours are generally offered several times a week once or twice a day and on select Saturdays and Sundays. Registration is required. The campus tour lasts approximately one hour and covers academics, campus life, student services, and residential living. Due to space limitations, we ask that you limit your party to one additional guest.
- If the tour registration is full, students can sign up for a waiting list and we will notify students if space opens up on a tour. Students and families are also welcome to walk around campus using our self-guided outdoor tour booklet.
- A student ambassador is generally available Monday through Friday between 9 AM and 5 PM at the Visitor Center and on select weekends when tours abeing held. Upon arrival to campus, please check in at the Admissions Visitor Center where a Barnard Student Admissions Representative will be available to greet you and check you in for the tour or provide you with a walking tour booklet. If the Visitor Center is not open, self-guided walking tour booklets are available at the main gate.
- Visitors may not enter buildings at this time unattended, except for the Visitor Center and the Diana Center, where the Barnard Store and Liz's Place café are located on the first floor. Restrooms can also be found in these locations. Prospective students and families are also encouraged to access our virtual visits to learn more about Barnard’s campus.
Visitors may not enter buildings at this time, except for the Visitor Center and the Diana Center, where the Barnard Store and Liz's Place café are located on the first floor. Restrooms can also be found in these locations. Prospective students and families are also encouraged to access our virtual visits to learn more about Barnard’s campus. We also offer an inside peak at our residence halls here.
Other Casual Visitors
Casual visitors are generally permitted on the campus grounds and must complete a Visitor Health Screening Form upon approval (QR code to scan also available at the main gate at 117th St). Visitors may enter the Admissions Visitor Center and the Diana Center for bathroom access and to visit the Barnard Store and Liz's Place Café (limited weekday hours for both).
Additional restrictions remain in place related to visitors:
- Faculty and staff families and children are not permitted indoors.
- Visitors are not permitted in the student residence halls.
Any official event or gathering with attendees or speakers from outside the Barnard/Columbia community are not considered visitors and must be handled through separate campus access protocols. For information consult the Events Protocols or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visitors for Official College Business
Visitors invited to campus for official College business by a department, office, or a member of the Barnard faculty or staff must be registered and approved in advance via the Registration Form for Campus Visitors, which is accessible via the Campus Access for Visitors page of the Barnard portal. This is an internal form only; users must be logged into their Barnard account to view the page and complete the form. Some visitors who are approved for extended access may be classed as "affiliates" and will have additional requirements and responsibilities. (The form will provide guidance as to whether the visitor should be classed as an affiliate). The process for bringing candidates for on-campus interviews is also featured on the Campus Access for Visitors page.
The Barnard liaison who is responsible for the visitor's time on campus must ensure that the visitor(s) perform the following:
- Complete a health attestation before entering campus, on every day they are using campus
- Wear a mask at all times when indoors on Barnard's campus
- Are fully vaccinated when they are on campus as per Barnard's vaccination policy
- Are escorted by their Barnard liaison (or a designee) inside campus buildings
- Stay only as long as their scheduled meeting and visit only designated approved locations.
Vendors may access campus through the submission of the vendor log/verification form and in compliance with the vendor protocols. The form should be submitted by the cognizant manager/liaison supervising the vendor’s work or performing business with the visitor. The cognizant manager/liaison must be on campus during the visit. All vendors must adhere to College guidelines in place and comply with health attestation and must complete a Visitor Health Screening Form on the day of their visit (available via QR code at the main gate).
Admissions & Campus Tours
We welcome prospective students to visit campus. Student-led outdoor tours are held several times a week and require registration. Printed outdoor self-guided walking tour booklets are also available at the front gates of Barnard. A current student ambassador is available in the Visitors Center to answer any questions.
Visit Barnard through our numerous Virtual Campus Visit Opportunities.
See and hear from Barnard in many ways:
- Sign up for student-led tour or take an outdoor on-campus self-guided tour
- Sign up for one of our live online information sessions.
- View our campus tour videos.
- Have questions about Barnard? Speak with current students in our StudentLife@Barnard Virtual Sessions.
- Watch a recorded online information session video on your own time.
The Student Store in located in the Diana Center is open to visitors.
Library Studying and Collaboration
Barnard Library in the Milstein Center welcomes students to study collaboratively or quietly, research and browse with collections, ask questions and learn from the Circulation & Help Desk staff members, meet with Personal Librarians and Archivists for research consultations and classes, and connect, research, and create with staff of the interdisciplinary Centers.
The Library space on floors LL-5 contain lively interdisciplinary centers, open collaborative study areas, a library instruction classroom, the active Circulation & Help Desk, and areas for quieter study.
Accessing Columbia's Campus
Barnard faculty, staff and students can access buildings and facilities on the University campus according to the protocols Columbia has set forth. Barnard students have the same access as Columbia undergraduates, including the Kraft Center. To access campus, individuals must complete all required training and testing and must abide by public health protocols that can be found on the following pages:
Columbia Shuttle Information
Shuttle Service to Campus through Columbia Transportation
Please review Columbia Transportation for information on shuttle services, including the Intercampus Shuttle Columbia also offers an on-demand Evening Shuttle, powered by Via, that runs between 6 p.m. and 4 a.m. each night. For those interested in using Via outside of the Evening Shuttle service, Columbia affiliates can use the code “CU2020” to unlock 20% off all private rides.
Events and Gatherings
Events and Gatherings on Campus
COVID-19 protocols and restrictions are in place for campus events and gatherings to safeguard the health and safety of the community. These may impact location and size of gathering, availability of food and drink at the event, and other logistics.
There are no social gatherings during the first two weeks of the Spring semester.
Events must be requested and set up through Barnard’s Office of Events Management. Contact email@example.com for specific restrictions in place and instructions on how to request and host events.
Limitations to events and gatherings will be revisited on a regular basis and the College will be responsive to current pandemic conditions.