As we turn to summer and fall, we are focused on how we will safely and effectively offer the incomparable teaching and learning experiences that distinguish Barnard College. The COVID-19 pandemic will continue to create uncertainty around the globe for many months to come, but with adaptability and resilience, Barnard’s students, faculty, and staff will continue to live out our mission and contribute to the knowledge the world needs, now more than ever.
The materials on this website offer information on how we are approaching this historic challenge. They will be updated regularly as we address new circumstances — please return for the latest news and guidance.
What do I need to know?
- Barnard has every intention to be back on our beautiful campus this fall. However, with so much still unknown and some factors beyond our control, College leadership is regularly updating multiple contingency plans for how our community can come back together on campus as soon as possible. More information can be found on the 2020-21 Planning page.
- The Barnard campus remains closed until further notice. Some staff members who are vital to providing essential functions, such as security and property maintenance, remain on campus. Residence halls are closed for the summer, with few approved exceptions. Access to most buildings is limited, and dining services are not operating.
- The 119th Street gates and the Quad gate are closed until further notice. The main gate remains open.
- To learn how Barnard is using the U.S. Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funds, visit What's Barnard Doing under the General FAQs.
- All in-person events and gatherings are cancelled until further notice.
- All campus visit programs, including campus tours, information sessions, special group tours, and class visits, are suspended until further notice. In the meantime, we invite prospective students to view our website, take a virtual tour, follow us on Instagram, and explore our Barnard videos and student bloggers on YouTube.
- Barnard’s Senior Staff and an Incident Response Team are meeting regularly to guide the College’s continued response to the coronavirus, and several academic and operational groups are working to develop plans for the Fall Semester 2020.
- For more information, please see 2020-21 Planning, General FAQs, and the Student FAQs regarding the College’s operations during the coronavirus pandemic.
Updated May 24, 2020, 3 p.m.